Sunday, July 27, 2008

Monarda- A semi happy plant cutting


So a few weeks ago while collecting some of the local monarda (m. pectinata) in the wash up in the mountains, I brought a few sprigs home and stuck them in water to keep them fresh for a demo at a talk I was giving. I kept one at home in the water and sure enough, like other mints, it grew roots quickly and easily. So I've potted this little monarda cutting with roots up in some native soil and hoping it will take to transplanting alright. It seems to have started to flower, which may or may not be a good sign. Struggling to reproduce before it dies? Or just in the season of flowering?
Hrmm. I won't be around to baby it, so hopefully it will be alright, but suffice it to say, monarda cuttings root very easily!

No comments:

"The mother of us all, the oldest of us all, Hard, splendid as rock, Let the beauty you love, be what you do. There are a thousand ways to kneel and kiss the earth"~ Rumi ~