Friday, July 25, 2008

Asian Purslane Salad


The purslane (portulaca oleracea) is growing like mad in the backyard. Summer rains always bring out the purslane, but I had no idea how many seeds were in the ground at my house! What a gift!!

Anyway, the plants are big enough to harvest from now, so last night I got a nice big bowlful of crunchy, moist fresh purslane and created this yummy salad.

Asian purslane salad

1 large bowlful of fresh purslane, chopped
1 tsp honey
1 tsp soy sauce (wheat free)
1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
1 tsp lime juice
2 tbsp diced onion
1 clove garlic, mashed
pinch of hot chile powder to taste
1 tbsp sesame seeds

Mix the everything but the purslane together in a bowl. Pour over purslane and toss till coated.
Eat!

Add some more yumminess to the salad with sliced toasted almonds, cucumber pieces, daikon radish, green onions, cilantro, or what have you.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

When is the best time to harvest purslane? Is there ever a time when it gets too thick and tough, or is it pretty much always yummy and succulent?

Darcey Blue said...

I'venever noticed it to get yucky bitter or tough as it ages. THe stems get bigger and I like them less then than when they are smaller...but still edible!

Denise said...

I've never eaten purslane raw but that salad sounds pretty darned good!
My mother used to pick it and put it in a cast iron pan with a little bit of butter, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and serve it up that way.
Makes me wish I had purslane growing in my yard!

Anonymous said...

oh yummy, this sounds delicious- i'm always looking for new ways to eat purslane!

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Oh - this sounds wonderful! Surely I must try it!

"The mother of us all, the oldest of us all, Hard, splendid as rock, Let the beauty you love, be what you do. There are a thousand ways to kneel and kiss the earth"~ Rumi ~