Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Wild Plums

Monday we went for a walk in some open space up in the foothills. I wasn't out for plants, or picking, or anything really, just to enjoy the brewing summer rainstorm, my love and being outside...
but of course, I had to stop and identify a few unknown flowers (the books came in handy Kiva!) and then we found a tree loaded with ripe mauve wild plums. Just the right size to pop the whole thing in your mouth, and sweet and astringent and lovely.
I have a basketful and i'm not sure what i want to do with them, other than just eat them! I've considered brandied plums ( as i've done with cherries and peaches this summer). Got any good plum recipies? I'm not really into jams, as I dont eat bread. Jam is good on meat, but there is so much sugar in them, I perfer not to...syrups can be the same way.

so....brandied or frozen...or just eat them ripe while we can. there are a few trees at the garden plot also covered in yummy plums ranging from orangey blushing pink to deep mauve and blue....they are so delicious even a little underripe....but the ripe ones, even some have fallen to the ground, are so sweet and juicy! What a lovely little gift. Wild fruits are amazing....I wish I had all day to collect and put up wild fruits.

2 comments:

Angie Goodloe LMT, Herbalist said...

I ran into some wild plums a few weeks ago, amazing! I wasn't looking either!

Oakmoss Changeling said...

mmm, that reminds me I need to go check on the wild plums outside of town!

i'm glad the books are useful!!

"The mother of us all, the oldest of us all, Hard, splendid as rock, Let the beauty you love, be what you do. There are a thousand ways to kneel and kiss the earth"~ Rumi ~