Tuesday, September 18, 2007

First snow

We awoke yesterday to a drizzling grey and chilly morning. The kind I love. I'd especially love to be staying in bed, eating warm soup, and running outside for fresh cold air. Instead, we were driving to town for work. But that fall rain gave the rocky peaks of the mountains to the west the first taste of snowy winter. The peaks were clould shrouded and lightly dusted with snow. It was a rather beautiful sight to see. I dont know why I love fall so much, the nostalgia, the warm feeling of nesting at home, the changes, the reflection on a year well lived. Whatever it is, fall holds a wonderful magical energy for me. The first snow is a magical moment as well.

Of course, it hasn't snowed on us down on the plains yet, but we're eagerly looking foward to it. It has been unseasonably warm here though, according to my classmate, we should already have had a frost by now. I'm waiting on the frost to start gathering my rose hips, so they'll be sweeter. Instead of hips, today I gathered bright pink and red rose petals from my classmates garden to make Gulkand, an ayurvedic rose jam. Gulkand is good for cooling hot, firey pitta constitutions, and plus just tastes delightful. I made a small jar of plain rose petals and sugar, and the second jar with cardamom sprinkled in as well. Mmmmmmmm...sweet rose wonderful goodness.

No comments:

"The mother of us all, the oldest of us all, Hard, splendid as rock, Let the beauty you love, be what you do. There are a thousand ways to kneel and kiss the earth"~ Rumi ~