Thursday, March 29, 2007

More snow and gardening lust

I was supposed to amend the soil at my garden plot last sunday. It had just rained and was too muddy. So I postponed it. Now it is snowing again! In like a lion, out like a lamb perhaps? Or vice versa in this case, as it has been around 60 degrees most of March.

The last frost date in Colorado is around may 15, so I can't be planting out too many things. Just the frost hardy greens, peas, and root veggies like radishes and beets. But I've ordered seeds for new herbs to grow, including marshmallow, wood betony (stachys), hyssop and more. I'm anxious to get some seeds in the ground.

But alas it is snowing, so instead I made a recipie we learned in class the other day. Known as an "Antioxidant Bomb"
Some mixture of the following, with half of the total quantity made up by
rosehips (split and seeded, not whole)
orange peel
lycium berries
and any other brightly colored fruits you like (elderberries, cranberries, blueberries etc)
mix and pour into a jar. Cover half way with blueberry or cranberry juice, and the other half with black cherry juice concentrate.
Soak and then eat!

YUMMY! I bet you can't eat just one!

2 comments:

Oakmoss Changeling said...

mmmm, this sounds great... i shall have to find myself some juice and make some up... could you ferment it, do you think?

Darcey Blue said...

i was just thinking about that. but not sure how i'd accomplish that...got any ideas??

I'm working on dandelion wine this week. The dandelion flower tea wasn't that thrilling...so i'm kind of skeptical...but who knows.

"The mother of us all, the oldest of us all, Hard, splendid as rock, Let the beauty you love, be what you do. There are a thousand ways to kneel and kiss the earth"~ Rumi ~