Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Mineral Tonic Syrup

Being that I'm studying a lot of nutrition at the moment, I'm always looking for ways to get more nutrition into my belly. Black strap molasses is a fabulous source of minerals, and Ive been using it on everything.
Nettles too is a wonderful mineral rich food herb, but awfully drying, and for some reason or another gives me headaches.

But, I decided that combining the two into a mineral rich syrup would be a fabulous idea. I've made yellow dock/molassess syrup for iron in pregnant moms, but...i wanted to do something....better.

so here is the recipie I came up with

1/2 oz each nettles leaf, alfalfa, yellow dock root, and rosehips and fennel
4 qt water
1 tbsp bee pollen
2 drops peppermint oil
1/2 tsp trace minerals
1 c molasses, blackstrap

Make a strong decoction/infusion of the 5 herbs, and let steep over night.
Strain and reduce down to about 1 c, or 1.5 c of liquid. Then mix the bee pollen with an ounce of the tea until dissolved. Add that back to the liquid along with the trace minerals and the molasses.
pour into a 16 oz bottle and add two drops of peppermint oil. Mix well and take up to two tsp 2 or 3 times a day.

Caution: this is incredibly mineral rich, and 2 tsp made my tummy grumble and then I had to go to the bathroom quite quickly afterwards. Start with 1 tsp, with food, and work up. Great stirred into stewed fruit, on toast, or oatmeal. or just by the spoonful. It is tasty!

No comments:

"The mother of us all, the oldest of us all, Hard, splendid as rock, Let the beauty you love, be what you do. There are a thousand ways to kneel and kiss the earth"~ Rumi ~