Sunday, January 09, 2011

Winter thorns

Hawthorn in winter, Maine

Here is my wild thorny hawthorn tree friend I'm tracking through the year.  Its been cold and windy for weeks, a little snow, but mostly blown away.
She lives in a hedge row in the fields below my house, wedged between her kin, and apple, cherry and maple trees.  There are grape vines growing up into the trees.  Probably another 10 to 15 hawthorns in this hedge row- of small and large stature, they grow as multiple limbed small brushy trees, with 3-7 trunks, making a very tricky to penetrate thorny tangle of branches.  A good place to hide.  Safe. Protected.

1 comment:

Crafty Green Poet said...

oh I love hawthorns, I look forward to following yours through the year! I've chosen a cherry tree and a hornbeam

"The mother of us all, the oldest of us all, Hard, splendid as rock, Let the beauty you love, be what you do. There are a thousand ways to kneel and kiss the earth"~ Rumi ~