Saturday, July 11, 2009

Deceptively simple cherry chutney

Perfect summer preservation of fruit! I love chutneys to go with my meats any time of the year, but summer is an especially good time for preserving those fruits for later. I had an abundance of cherries this week, so set myself to making a yummy concoction that would freeze well for later.

Very simple, few ingredients, and quick to whip up!

Cherry Cardamom & Chipotle Chutney

2 lbs cherries ( more if you have them!)
2 tsp cardamom seeds, ground ( more if you like more, less if you like less)
1 tsp allspice
3 cloves garlic
2 tsp chipotle chile flakes
1/2 onion
1 tsp salt
pepper, ground to taste
1/4 c red wine vinegar
1/4 c sugar

Pit and split the cherries, add them to a pan with chopped onion, garlic, spices and vinegar. Simmer on low for 20 min until the onions are soft. Add the sugar and simmer another 5 min to blend the flavors. Remove from heat, and jar. Can or freeze.

YUMMY!

This could possibly be improved upon with the addition of raisins, dried cranberries, orange peel, or ginger and clove. But use what suits you. I love cardamom and chipotle and wanted to preserve the simple flavors in this easy recipe! I can't wait to have it on a braised pork loin!

1 comment:

Prozac said...

It looks kind of like this stuff my grandmother used to make that nobody but her could really stomach. Still, it sounds very healthy, so I might try it.

"The mother of us all, the oldest of us all, Hard, splendid as rock, Let the beauty you love, be what you do. There are a thousand ways to kneel and kiss the earth"~ Rumi ~