Wednesday, January 28, 2009

More garden love....


My garden is overflowing with luscious winter greens. All those sweaty hours of digging in the October sun were definately worth it. I've got so many greens I can't seem to eat them all. This week I'm freezing or pickling 90% of what I've harvested so the green goodness lasts for months to come. That there is about a 3 x 5 square of tablecloth, loaded with veggies, and I have at least half that amount in the fridge still from my last trip to the garden!
That would be top, from left to right- Swiss chard, cabbage, rapini, mizuna, kale, kohlrabi, dill, cilantro, tat soi, green onions, arugala, snow peas, calendula flowers.


I harvested my first cabbage today! I'm going to turn it into kimchi!




And my new favorite vegetable, rapini or broccoli raab, a bit like broccoli, a bit like cabbage, and oh so versatile, and grows fast! It took only about 30 days to grow, from seed to plate ( in this mild climate anyway, the package says 45 days.)


And of course, don't forget the kohlrabi, basically a swollen broccoli stem, but the perfect dipping vegetable, sliced into thin rounds like chips and dipped into hummus, salad dressing or other things. I like it best raw, but it can be cooked in stirfries or pickled too.

I still have lettuce, spinach, fennel bulbs, carrots (maybe), Beets, mustard greens, chamomile, nettles and dandelion greens to harvest too! 12o sq feet of garden plot grows a lot!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG, that is SO incredibly lovely! I have total vegetable envy.

Can't wait to see you very soon!

Love,
Kiva

Anonymous said...

I have veggie envy too! All that from 12 ft? Amazing!

Darcey Blue said...

120 sq ft

Alyss said...

Oh how wonderful! Here in Oregon we are just starting to turn the ground for spring planting. Certainly not harvest season for most of us :)
I've never thought of kohlrabi as "swollen brocolli stems" but that makes perfect sense - and makes me want to try them! I think our winter farmers market is this weekend. I can't wait to go!

Anonymous said...

Would love to hear your kimchi recipe- we just made 3 gallons of kimchi from cukes and now I am on a kimchi kick!

"The mother of us all, the oldest of us all, Hard, splendid as rock, Let the beauty you love, be what you do. There are a thousand ways to kneel and kiss the earth"~ Rumi ~