Sunday, March 02, 2008

Fickle spring

Just last week I was feeling spring in the air. All the buds on the cottonwoods are swelling and oozing golden resin. I harvested a pint of buds from a willing tree and some of the freshly fallen branchlets on the ground and poured warm olive oil over them to make a lovely infused poplar bud oil for sore muscles, burns or aromatic chest rubs. Plants are poking little leaves up through the leaves and old growth of last year.

Yesterday it was near 70 degrees and we went hiking in the foothills. No new growth on the plants up there yet, but a much needed respite and foray into the more wild lands. I could feel that energy filling me up as I walked. I felt like an empty water vessel and the energy of the trees, the rocks, the sun pouring into me, renewing, replenishing that which winter and too much time inside working has depleted.


But alas, spring is a tease, after a beautiful breezy sun filled day, the Rocky Peaks are again under snow. We have about an inch on the ground (not too much) but it's below freezing temperatures again. I've been told that March is the snowiest month in the Front Range area. But I can feel spring just around the bend. My energy levels are changing, my dietary choices are different, and I'm ready for MOVEMENT and CHANGE.

A new home and a new life awaits for creation this summer, and I'm anxious to get started. But until then I have a thesis to research and write, clients to see and spring to see flower.

2 comments:

Oakmoss Changeling said...

Yeah, we're getting flurries here too, though I don't think anything will stick.

But look, there's poppies near Tucson http://fireflyforest.net/firefly/2008/02/27/california-poppies-at-picacho-peak-state-park/
Life is good when there's been enough moisture for some real wildflowers in the desert.

And for now, Candytuft flowers are very pretty in the snow... and my poppies will be along a bit later.

Anonymous said...

winter and spring are busy fighting it out on canada's east coast, too. last week it was warm and fresh and i sat outdoors wearing a light sweater with a cup of tea listening to the crows and luxuriating in the heat of the sun. now i lay in bed listening to the icy rain and wind ravage the trees and beat against my window pane; we're pummeled by a winter storm. back and forth as it goes during this exciting time of year... though i will be content once spring puts winter to rest.

"The mother of us all, the oldest of us all, Hard, splendid as rock, Let the beauty you love, be what you do. There are a thousand ways to kneel and kiss the earth"~ Rumi ~