Sunday, July 22, 2007

Raw Chocolate Pie and Chokecherry Magic

So today ISN'T my birthday, but in honor of my birthday a week ago, my housemate and I made raw pie! Now I'm not a raw foodist by any stretch of the imagination, but some raw recipies are really good, and good for you! This pie is one of those.

Grind up some nuts, we used cashews and almonds, add a few soaked dates to make it stick together. We also added some cocoa butter to it, and cinnamon and cardamom. Press into a pie pan, and freeze. meantime the crust freezes, in the cuisin art or blender , blend up avocados, honey (or more dates), lemon juice to taste and cocoa powder, to taste. Pour this avocado pudding delight into the pie shell and cool in the fridge. Top with ground cashews and strawberries!
Delicious!
and so nutritious. High in fiber, good fats, and low in refined sugar....it 's a guilt free desert!

On other notes, the chokecherries are ripe, and i came home with a basketful, of which wil be become chokecherry syrup and chokecherry brandy! YUM!
i've never had a chance to make chokecherry anything and they are definatley cherry like, but very astringent and sour. I'm excited to play with another wild food!

Yay!

1 comment:

Oakmoss Changeling said...

Sounds yummy! And oh, now I have to run and check on my Chokecherries (provided the bugs have left me one or two) and see if they're ripe!

I like your new pic too! Very pretty.

"The mother of us all, the oldest of us all, Hard, splendid as rock, Let the beauty you love, be what you do. There are a thousand ways to kneel and kiss the earth"~ Rumi ~