Saturday, April 07, 2007

Deep Freeze

At the beginning of the week I was planting seeds with my love, and now I am alone and the world is frozen over.
No Joke. We're under ice here. It's been below freezing for two days, and the precipitation has varied between sleet, freezing rain, and snow. But mostly freezing rain. The grass is covered in ice and crunches under foot. I had to chip ice of my windshield 3 times already.

The hawthorn tree is more like a hawthorn popsicle. The tender new leaves and flower buds encased in a thick layer of ice. I picked a few to snack on. Hawthorn leaves frozen are tasty...but alas, I doubt that the tree will make much of flowers or fruit this year. The freeze came at such an inoppurtune moment in plant development.
Seems appropriate, that spring should virtually stop in it's tracks, as my love left me this week. I feel like I'm in deep freeze as well. Funny how the world and universe reflects, or how we influence the world around us with our thoughts, feelings and perspectives.

I was hoping to go camping this week in the mountains of Colorado. So keeping my fingers crossed it will warm up again.

I'm sure the seeds I planted are fine. But the tender garlic greens may not be. It will be ok. I have more garlic starts.

I know that life goes in cycles, and even the cruelest of winters do eventually end, and spring comes again, but I feel as if I was in the spring of my life, so much promise, so many buds promising fruit, and now...well winter has returned, and taken the promise of the summer fruits back. The sweet fruits of love no longer await.
I've been guzzling down lemon balm and rose elixirs this week, in hopes it would support my tender feelings and broken heart. Mostly I just feel heavy in heart and spirit. I think holy basil might be helpful now, as would the hawthorn that is now frozen over, but I have some berry tincture I can take.

I also feel like I'm coming down with a mild Urinary Tract infection. I haven't had one in years, but, alas, the stress, the weather, the emotional upheaval combined may have waylaid my health for the moment.

I've been sipping on calendula, yarrow, cornsilk and mallow tea and cranberry juice all day, and taking my manzanita juniper tincture. I'm going to start an echinacea decoction as well.

It's snowing again, and the temperatures are supposed to drop into the single digits tonight. from 65 to 0 degrees in the space of about two days. That's pretty intense.

Send a bit of warmth my way. I wouldnt mind some rain, but the frozen part is tough on the spirit right now.

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

Darcy! As a kid, I used to go camping in the Colorado Rockies with my family...we only lived a short ways away. But we waited until early June, at least, because there is always a chance of extreme weather until then. If you decide to go early, please take extra precautions and prepare for snow and cold temperatures.

Kathleen (aka Stormwatcher)

Anonymous said...

If it makes you feel better, it is excrutiatingly hot here! I had some chapstick in my car, and when I opened the cap, liquid chapstick spilled everywhere like candlewax. Yuck! We miss you.

"The mother of us all, the oldest of us all, Hard, splendid as rock, Let the beauty you love, be what you do. There are a thousand ways to kneel and kiss the earth"~ Rumi ~