Sunday, March 11, 2007

The Patience of Winter

Today it’s raining. I don’t mind the rain in general. Being that I’ve lived in the desert for the majority of my adult life, I’ve learned to appreciate the rain, as it can be infrequent. Rain is refreshing, cooling, life giving. I always know that when it rains, the flowers will follow shortly after.

This has been a long and rather cold winter with plenty of snow. I’ve been cooped up inside too much. I haven’t been able to hike as much as I’d like, and haven’t touched my bike in months. But I try to remember that the snow does what the rain would, feeding and nourishing the earth with the moistness of life, and more importantly allowing for rest.

Most of my friends from the southwest are now commenting on how their plants are growing, flowers are blooming and the cycle of life is beginning again. I too feel the stirrings here, farther north, but we’re a bit behind. Whereas flowers are blooming in the Sonoran Desert, the snow is just melting here. Trees are leafed out in Tucson and here they are just swelling with buds. I’m getting impatient for spring to start! I want to go hike and find new flowers! I’m waiting eagerly for the plants on hill behind the house to put out some GREEN. Fresh spring rose leaves, and DANDELIONS galore. But winter is still upon us, the rain is falling softly, and I must learn to be patient. Winter teaches us patience, but I know spring is around the corner and I want to plant my garden (I think we might have a plot at the community gardens again this year.) I want to go out and find new plant friends. Herb school is great and all, but more than reading about herbs, I like being with herbs, alive and growing and full of LIFE.

No comments:

"The mother of us all, the oldest of us all, Hard, splendid as rock, Let the beauty you love, be what you do. There are a thousand ways to kneel and kiss the earth"~ Rumi ~