Saturday, February 18, 2006

Parched Earth


Yesterday was thickly overcast, and there were actually a few sprinkles of rain, but really nothing significant. I relished smelling the moisture in the air. I'm feeling about as parched as this drought stricken desert. It hasn't rained since September really, and even the prickly pear cactus are shriveling up and turning red and yellow from drought stress. That CAN'T be good. I went a wandering up my favorite riparian wash, dry as a bone, and found that none of the usual early spring signs, save one, are out. There are no little grasses peeking up from the base of last years growth, the mugwort is leaned over and dried out, even branches of the oaks and junipers have dried up and died. I did see a cottonwood with resiny buds and little flower clusters bursting forth. Day time temperatures are perfect for new growth, but the lack of water has hindered everything.

I'm beside myself. This parched desert probably wont see rain until summer, late summer, at that. If we are lucky!

:(
This might be a rough year.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trees dying of thirst!

No comments:

"The mother of us all, the oldest of us all, Hard, splendid as rock, Let the beauty you love, be what you do. There are a thousand ways to kneel and kiss the earth"~ Rumi ~